* Today was the last day for swimming during P.E. The children were very excited to see their final times which are posted near the entrance to the pool. Seven members of our class had times in the top ten for either girls or boys - Super!!
* There is no school for students on Monday, January 30. This is a professional development day for the faculty.
* The Elementary Student Council has designated four spirit days, the first of which was today: crazy hair day. Next Friday, February 3 will be sports day. Friday February 10 will be class choice day. Miss Nina and I will discuss some possibilities with the children next week, and then we'll let you know what the class decides. Friday February 17 will be pajama day. These days are optional, of course, but they can be a fun way to show our school spirit and bring a little extra energy to our learning.
* As part of our science unit on matter, we are building a classroom property museum. I am encouraging the children to choose an item from home to add to our property museum. It should be something that they are comfortable leaving in our classroom for all of the children to examine and touch. The museum will close and all items will be returned on February 17.
* We will celebrate the 100th Day of School on February 8. This will be a fun day with 100th day activities built into our learning throughout the day. Please talk with your student about what he/she could bring to school for the 100th day. We are asking the children to bring 100 of something (for example: q-tips, buttons, sticky notes) that will be ok to touch and arrange for our activities on February 8. They may bring their collection to school when ready, but please by February 8 at the latest. Have fun!
* On Tuesday, February 14, we will celebrate Valentine's Day. We focus on appreciating all of our friends on this holiday. Many children will want to bring a valentine card for each of their classmates. I have told the children that they do not have to bring valentines, but if they do, they should be sure to bring one for each friend. If you need a copy of our class list for this purpose, please just let me know.
* Finally, the children have realized that we have quite a lot of words on our word wall. This is a really good time to review the entire collection of words with your child. They should be able to read and write these words independently, but it is completely normal for the children to need a little extra practice with some of the words. You can find the current words on our word wall here: 1H Word Wall.
As always, thank you for your continued support and encouragement!