Our class voted to have an extra iPad session! Thanks to the generosity of our PTO, our school has a cart of 30 iPads that we share. The iPads are loaded with a variety of educational apps, including sight word review, math facts, and geography skills. I love seeing how the children dive into learning with this technology. Two students above are working collaboratively on a high-speed literacy game that involves a spinner and taking turns. One child was playing a geography game and actually left her seat to look for a needed answer on the globe. Please see the slideshow below. What fun!
Please mark your calendars for these events coming soon:
Friday, May 31 at 1:00 - First Grade Awards Ceremony
All students will receive an award! Please visit our Flat Stanley museum in the first grade hallway at the conclusion of the ceremony. You are welcome to take your child's Flat Stanley home at the end of this event.
Monday, June 3 - Field Day
- Students should wear green to show our team spirit. Our class field trip shirt will be perfect, if it still fits. Boys may wear swim trunks instead of shorts. Girls may wear a one piece swim suit under their clothes.
- There are many water activities, and the children usually get very wet. Students should bring a labeled plastic bag with a complete change of clothes, including socks and shoes.
- Students should bring a beach towel to use on field day. We will keep the towel at school until the last week for other events such as Beach Day and watching the kickball game on the last day.
- Students should bring a full water bottle, labeled with their name.
- Please apply sunscreen to your child before he/she arrives at school.
- The rain date for field day will be the next day, Tuesday, June 4.
Wednesday, June 5 - Beach Day
Students may wear beach-theme clothing that is still appropriate for school. Hawaiian prints and shark t-shirts work well. The children will sit on their beach towels in the cafeteria for lunch.
Thursday, June 6 - Last Day of School
Our class party is from 1:00 - 2:00. All are welcome!
Please Note: Students should continue to bring backpacks every day until the last day of school. I will begin sending items home on Tuesday, so that the children do not have too much to carry all at once. You may enjoy using some of the unused workbook pages for summer enrichment.
Summer Enrichment Ideas: Here's an idea from the Virginia Department of Education, "To get a jump start on the next school year, encourage your students to check out the resources available through Virginia is for Lovers … of Summer Learning. Discover fun activities and resources related to reading, mathematics, science and history that can involve the whole family."